Updated: Aug 1, 2019
While procedures may differ from state to state, the general steps to become a Notary are:
1) Make sure you meet all of your state’s qualifications.
2) Complete and submit an application.
3) Pay the state’s filing fee.
4) Get training from an approved education vendor (if applicable- I have a recommended vendor on the homepage of my website under extended services).
5) Pass a state-administered exam (if applicable).
6) Complete fingerprinting and background check (if applicable).
7) Receive your commission certificate from the state.
8) Get your surety bond (if applicable).
9) File your commission paperwork (and bond) with your Notary regulating official.
10) Buy your Notary supplies.
Once you have successfully completed the above steps, I highly recommend connecting with an experienced notary for tips and guidance. For more information on frequently asked question the National Notary Association and Loan Signing Service are an excellent resource. Also if you are looking to launch a career either part time or full time in the notary industry or an existing notary looking for way to earn more money, please check the affiliate link on my home page under extended services (Notary Courses button) for more information.